ARE YOU LOOKING TO BUY OR SELL A HOME IN Belleville, NJ?
Originally known as “Second River” or “Washington” during Colonial times, the town of Belleville in Essex County, NJ was once part of the city of Newark. In the 1790s, it changed its name to Belleville (“Beautiful City”). Its present geographic boundaries, covering just under 3.4 square miles were set in 1869. Approximately 35,000 people from diverse backgrounds make their home in Belleville today.
Although Belleville is relatively small, it is home to beautiful Branch Brook Park, the elegant Forest Hill Field Club, Hendricks Field Golf Course, and Hendricks Park. Located directly off Route 21 with quick access to Route 3, Belleville is a short drive away from the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford; Route 21 south leads directly into downtown Newark and its many entertainment, sports, cultural, and dining options, and Newark-Liberty International Airport.
Real estate values in Belleville are relatively modest compared for Essex County, with a broad selection of styles for single-family homes. A range of condominiums as well as rental apartments are also available. Home prices range from the mid-$200,000s to mid-$400,000s.
The Belleville School District has seven well-regarded elementary schools, some of which include pre-K classes; and a middle school and high school. The town has a large public library.
Trust Century 21 Cedarcrest Realtors In Belleville NJ to Help You Buy or Sell a Home or a Property
Belleville’s location at the junction of two rivers (Passaic River and Second River) helped it become industrialized thanks to water power, which ushered in a rich history of manufacturing; the riverfront also provided access coal and other supplies brought by boat from New York. Belleville’s industrial past includes many interesting manufacturing milestones which include the wire that Samuel Morse used for his first experimental telegraph line and the first steamboat in New Jersey.
- Fun facts about Belleville, NJ
- Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons formed in Belleville.
- The TV series, “The Sopranos,” was filmed there.
- Belleville calls itself the Cherry Blossom Capital of America. Its annual display in Branch Brook Park that is larger than the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C.’s Tidal Basin.
- General Washington and his troops passed through Belleville on November 22, 1776, pursued by the British. The Dutch Reformed Church bears a plaque that lists the names of 62 Revolutionary War veterans who are buried in the historic cemetery behind it.